Re: High-Tech (was Re: M)

To: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: High-Tech (was Re: M)
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 11:19:21 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
fred thomas wrote:

> > Nice thoughtful reply, Fred. Which was what I was trying to do, stir
> > things up and get people thinking about where all these great cars will
> > end up, faced with a coming up generation that views cars radically
> > different that us old farts did! Which is why I don't think the Miata is
> > going to be held in any kind of regard. It's a cutesy fad, loved mostly
> > by people with an MTV attention span. It'll go the way of goatee's, body
> > peircing, and grunge bands! The next fad will be here soon! Maybe a
> > amphibious SUV with a ski/bike/skate board rack and an on board
> > cappucino machine?O-K, any ideas ??anyone ?? anyplace ??

  I have seen the future (or should I say heard), and it is sound.  At
Carlisle, PA.
last May, there was a stereo a show section.  It seemed to me that this was a
young
crowd, no-one over the age of twenty five, and these cars were seriuosly
modified-
lowered, interiors redone, and much money and time spent on the sound systems.
 I went back to the import swap meet, and I at thirty three, seemed to be the
youngest
guy there.  It seems the vast majority of British car enthusiasts are in their
late thirties/early forties, and the demographic doesn't appear to be
increasing to
encompass any new younger members.
  It seems that with the restrictive anti-tampering laws (which are a good
thing)
that the only way to modify an automobile these days is aurally, and I for one
can't
blame a kid (yeah, I guess I can call a twenty five year older a kid now) for
not
being interested in resotoring a car that was in vogue years before he was born.

  I don't mean to seem negative, but I feel this is the way it is, and I do love
these cars too.

                              JOE IV
                              TR 250
                        WALLINGFORD, CT. USA