Re: High-Tech (was Re: M)

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: High-Tech (was Re: M)
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 09:21:55 +0100
Cc: Mark Stahlke <mstahlke@denver.infi.net>, George Richardson <gprtech@ix.netcom.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> Mark Stahlke wrote:
>
> > The question isn't CAN they be reproduced, its WILL they be
> > reproduced. Will
> > one be able to by a new chip for a high-tech "black-box" in 40 years?
>
>   Probably a lot more easily than you can buy parts for your TR.
>
>   They made about 250 thousand TR2-6s in total.
>
>   There are MILLIONS of Miatas out there, and growing.
>
>   Which market is more likely to be able to sustain parts
> development, supply, and retailing?

My guess is neither! The LBC market is mostly 30+ guys who remember the
cars when new, and always wanted one. We were "car guy's" in our teen
years, having grown up in the era of cheap gas, and cheap horsepower.
The vast majority of LBC owners enjoy working on the cars, which they
are very proud of. The "M" cars (this includes all the new retro cars)
are bought by people who want something sporty, and have the credit
rating to throw money at a toy. But this group of owners do it yourself
ability is limited to self serve gas and Jiffy Lube! A generation raised
on Hondas, Toyata's, etc. have no reason to learn how to fix things. The
cars will run for years without any major problems. Then, when something
major breaks, the car is dumped and a new trasportation appliance
purchased.
The LBC hobby, I fear, will go the way of the Ford Model T collector.
These cars were owned by guys who also "remembered when" and they
lavished many hours and dollars on them. But, the following generations
have litlle or no interest in that type of car. As they aged and died
off, the numbers of Model T's showing up at cars shows has nose dived.
Our hobby will take the same road. I was 16 years old in 1971 when my
brother bought a '59 TR3, which made me the defacto crew cheif. As a 25
year old, I bought a Sunbeam Alpine and a Tiger, all within one year!
Next Brit car show you're at, take a look at the faces of the car
owners. See many under 30 owners? Didn't think so. A generation raised
on boring Japanese cars will regard them in later years with all the
nostaglia afforded toward an old toaster or refrigerator! They'll
probably be more inclined to collect first generation Nintendo's than a
cherry low milage 25 year old Honda Accord!
As for me, my kids can drive me to the old folks home in my LBC! Put the
thing out in a field after I'm gone if you don't care about it. But, I
hope they'll try to remember the joy they had cruising around in their
dad's old "cool car"!