Re: Felt grease seals for front hub, TR6

To: "Triumph Guys" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "DUHART JOHN" <duhart@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: Felt grease seals for front hub, TR6
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 16:35:53 -0700

>       These new seals have a metal rim/ring which I've placed up against the
> vertical link.  The old seal I removed (Yes, only one hub had a seal!)
> had no metal rim/ring.
>
>       What have people done to get these seals to fit.  I need to compress
> about 1/16 of an inch, but I think I may already be compressing right up
> to the rim/ring.  Should I cut down the ring (HOW)?  Should I remove the
> felt from the ring and just go with the felt?

John-
Easy mistake...the seals are in backwards. (Also make sure you are not
trying to put a "second" metal piece in as the first could look like the
edge of the wheel bearing. The bearing should be able to fall out when the
seal is removed). The felt goes against the vertical link and yes sometimes
they are a little thick. Do not tighten the bearings too much, just set
normally and retighten after a few miles. If you have put new pads on at
the same time, yank em out and put the old ones back in as they will allow
some degree of misalignment of the rotor within the caliper. New pads are
often too thick to allow the pad to pull away from the rotor when used,
otherwise the new ones would be ok too.

Felt seals ???? What were they thinking ? <g>
        Nick in Nor Cal