Re: Dying legend

To: Irv Korey <emanteno@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Dying legend
From: Steve Witt <witt@pairgain.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 12:47:18 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumph List <TRIUMPHS@Autox.Team.Net>
On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Irv Korey wrote:

> My son turns 16 in March. I have a 76 Spitfire waiting for him.

Lucky kid!

My dad had a '69 Alfa Duetto Spider (his previous car was a '63 TR4) that
he said he was going to give me when I graduated from high school.  But he
had a LOT of trouble getting competent maintenance for it.  It usually came
back from the shop worse than when it went in.  So, sometime during my
junior year he sold it.  I was one seriously pissed off kid.  Hell, I'm
still burned up about it 20 years later.  He always told me that he was
really doing me a favor that I would "understand" someday (by insuring
that I had a reliable car).  So I went out an bought a '71 Fiat 124 Sport
Coupe when I went to college (wanted a spider, couldn't find a good one).
It almost broke me, but I loved it.

Please excuse the Italian content on this list, but IMHO, all of those
great sports cars from the 50s, 60s, and 70s were wonderful cars in their
own way.  And now, if I ever get the money, I'd probably want to find a
TR4 or 250 instead of anything Italian as they are probably a lot easier
to work on and more mainstream.  I later owned a '79 Alfa Spider and while
it was a nice car, easy to work on was not one of its qualities.

Steve