Re: spit engine swap?

To: lewis mckillop <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: spit engine swap?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 09:12:53 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spit <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, lewis mckillop wrote:

>     I have a 63 spit in the middle of a restoration (daily
> driver/weekend toy type of restoration). Before i start changing engines
> out and trimming a few things for clearance i thought i should find out
> just how rare/valuable a 63 spit is (restored back to original). I
> haven't heard many mentioned here yet. I would hate to ruin an expensive
> resto project just because i like alot of power under the hood.

The earliest Spitfires seem now to be quite scarce in good original or
restored-to-original condition. The value of these cars doesn't quite
compare to that of a sidescreen TR, but it seems to be appreciating.

Regardless of how well a swap is done and how well the end product turns
out in terms of fun and enjoyment, it's likely to markedly lower the
value of the car to almost anyone except the owner/builder. No, it's
nothing like "tubbing" a Bugatti Royale or putting fender flares and such
on a Tucker Torpedo, but even the best-engineered job will take away much
of the character and charm of the car in its original state.

This is not to say that these swaps should not be done, ever. Barry
Schwartz's V-6 Spitfire is probably a fine example of a well-done job.
But I doubt Barry would argue that it's a very different car than a
"normal" Spitfire -- even one with dual Webers, headers, cam, etc.

Bottom line: it's your car, and you can swap if you want to. But I
wouldn't count on getting your money back when you sell. You usually
don't on a full restoration, and you almost certainly won't on such a
modified car.

My $.02 worth.

--Andy