Re: spit engine swap?

To: "Peter Ficklin" <pficklin@qnis.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "lewis mckillop" <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: spit engine swap?
From: "Bill and Sal Birney" <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:50:21 +1000
Lewis et al,

I would back up Ross, Peter, Barry and others.

We have a 67 mkII, which 'looks' standard. However it actually runs a 1147
bored to 1296, modified head, extractors (standard on the mkii anyway), cam
and the only outward sign is the side draught Delorto on the side of the
motor!

This car will really give people a surprise, although it is at the limit of
development for this direction. Leon's solution of the 8 port head is nice,
original and rare!, however the standard motor (6 port) is, to quote a
local engine builder of high repute, just made for supercharging!

The thing to remember about any of this work, is that the gearbox and diffs
of these cars are not the strongest, and so some repect, or use of later
components, is required if you are going to get too radical.

So what would I recommend?, take Ross's offer, and drive his mkI (or even
get driven in it), then take the 1147, lighten it, balance it, and make the
bottom end really strong. Lift the compression ratio a little (I think your
fuel may limit you there, we still have full lead high octane
anti-environment fuel!), work the head, let it breath and give it a good
strong cam.

Then let the little bugger sing! It may not have the legs of a big motor,
but with your but 6 inches off the road, it'll still feel pretty fast.

Bill and Sal Birney
'70 GT6+ (RHD)
'67 Spitfire MkII (Sal's)
'69 Spitfire MkIII (for sale)