tr6 fuel pump

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tr6 fuel pump
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:21:49 -0600
I posted a note this weekend about a problem with a TRF rebuild kit for
the AC fuel pump on my TR6.

The diaphragm is incorreclty assembled so that the rod sticking out of
it is attached to the large metal plate side of the diaphragm instead of
the small metal plate side. The metal plate is what provides the seating
surface for the diaphragm spring. Since the large plate is much larger
than the diameter of the spring, the spring seems to slide around on it
causing an ugly noise to emanate from the pump during operation. I
reinstalled the old diaphragm which has the metal plates "reversed" (ie.
the spring seat is the small plate) and the noise goes away.

I called the TRF order desk to try to rectify this, they said:
- they have sold 500 of these kits in the last 8 months, and
- I should call the tech line with my problem.

1. Since they have sold 500 kits, has anyone on this list bought the kit
from TRF and successfully installed it? Was the diaphragm in your kit as
I described (rod mounted on side of diaphragm with large plate) or like
the original (rod mounted on side of diaphragm with small plate)?

2. Am I out to lunch thinking that since it is their fault for
manufacturing (or commissioning the mnaufature of) faulty parts, they
shoud pay for the call? (The tech line is not a toll free call).

3. Since I bought the kit last September, apparently the return period
has expired anyways. How am I supposed to know the diaphragm has this
flaw in it until I look at my old diaphragm (which is only possible when
I diassemble the pump)? I would not have known the part was defective
until I install it, at the time I recevied the shipment it all looked
fine to me. I am sure people buy kits like this as "in case of
emergency" parts and don't immediately install them. What do you all
think?

When I hear stories of BPNW and other vendors immediately sending
correct parts when a defect is reported it makes me wonder about TRF's
seemingly hard line approach to these matters. I have never heard of TRF
immediately sending out the correct part. This is especially odd in
light of their constant pleas for us to support their company (and only
their company) since they are the only ones who truly support our cars.

Maybe I am just venting frustration here but I am certainly becoming
disenchanted with TRF lately...

Anyone have suggestions on how I should handle this? I really only want
to get a  diaphragm with the rod mounted on the proper side. I doubt I
will get any satisfaction from TRF although I will call the tech line
when they open.

Thanks for listening (reading?)...

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)