RE: tr6 fuel pump

To: "'Ken Streeter'" <streeter@sanders.com>
Subject: RE: tr6 fuel pump
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 11:15:15 -0600
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Ken (and the list),

I may have spoken too soon (on some counts)...

First of all, I agree that typically we voice opinions about vendors
when we have a bad experience as opposed to a good one. However, the
examples I cited (BPNW and I said "other vendors", I think there was
recent post about Rimmers sending out a NOS boot cover to replace a bad
one they initially sent) were examples of good experiences with other
vendors than TRF. You (Ken that is) have just provided two examples of
good experiences with TRF. I appreciate this.

I was basing my concerns on two main epxeriences I had:
- I recently bought a hood release cable from TRF and found that it was
assembled 90 degrees out. I called the TRF support line and spoke with a
lady who knew nothing about the part and merely kept repeating that I
sent back the old one they would send the right one. I have since found
that other listers who have bought this cable have the same problem (the
pull handle is supposed to mount vertically in the car, not horizontally
like the new cables force upon you). I got kind of frustrateed withthis
person cause they weren't very knowledgeable.

- Now this fuel pump kit. I had stayed away from calling the support
line thinking I would get another clerical as opposed to technical
person (no offense to any clerks out there). So I posted to the list in
frustration.

I did however call the support line at your suggestion. Well this time I
spoke with fellow named Dave who imedaitely knew what I was talking
about with the diaphragm. He said they have been made like this for 12
years and although TRF had tried to persuade the manufacturer to change,
they were unwilling/unable to do so. Dave said that the noise I am
hearing from my new diaphragm (not present with my old diaphragm) is not
indicative of any probelm and the spring will seat fine even with the
wrong size metal plate.

I also casually mentioned to Dave about the hood release cable and once
again he instantly knew of what I spoke. Same story, manufacturer
refuses to make them properly.

Anyway, the moral (for me) is that I got a bad draw when I called the
support line the first time. Dave was able to (indirectly) convince me
that TRF is not the bad guy and I am now no longer angry at them. I will
try the  bad diaphragm again and see if the noise will eventually go
away. Although I still wish I had the correct diaphragm, it seems unless
I make my own that will not happen from any source, TRF or otherwise.

So, once again, thanks for listening...

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada

PS. I still like TRF, in case that is not clear from the above.