Re: tr6 fuel pump

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: tr6 fuel pump
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 12:53:01 -0400
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> When I hear stories of BPNW and other vendors immediately
> sending correct parts when a defect is reported it makes me
> wonder about TRF's seemingly hard line approach to these
> matters. I have never heard of TRF immediately sending out
> the correct part. This is especially odd in light of their
> constant pleas for us to support their company (and only
> their company) since they are the only ones who truly
> support our cars.

Peter,

  I wish you the best with getting your diaphragm problem
fixed.  I don't have any specifics that relate to your problem.

  However, you brought up more general concerns with TRF and
their return / defective parts policy.  I think that the
reason that you haven't heard many good stories is that what
happens is people generally tend to voice the bad experiences,
but not the good ones.  In that light, I'll describe the two
cases in which I've had to exercise TRF's return / defective
parts policy.

  1)  I bought a spin-on filter adapter in the spring of 1995.
  Before I installed it, I noticed that there was a flaw in
  the casting on one of the mating surfaces.  I was concerned
  about this, so I called up their customer support line, and
  explained the problem.  They said that they would UPS a
  replacement to me right away, and that I should send the
  defective one back to them at their expense.  Other crises
  came up in my life that day, and I didn't get around to
  sending the bad spin-on adapter back until two days later.
  That same day, when I got home, the replacement arrived.  In
  my mind, excellent customer service from TRF.

  2)  I bought a complete stainless steel exhaust kit, including
  hangars, etc., from TRF in October of 1994, with the intent
  of replacing my marginal exhaust.  However, due to a variety
  of factors, I didn't get around to starting to install it
  until March of this year (1997).  When I went through the kit,
  I found that one of the exhaust clamps was missing.  Oh, great,
  I thought, here it is 30 months after I receive the parts, and
  I realize that I am missing a piece.  I called up the TRF
  customer support line, explained the situation, and two days
  later had the missing exhaust clamp.  In my mind, excellent
  customer service from TRF once again.  (It turns out that I
  never did actually get around to installing the SS exhaust and
  it's still in my garage, but that's another story...)

My suggestion is that if you have an issue relating to
customer service, that you call the customer service line
to TRF.  You'll get a person on that line whose job is
to ensure customer satisfaction.  The people at the order
desk are trained to take orders -- for best service with
resolving a dispute, call the customer service line.
(814-446-4495)

--ken
A satisfied TRF customer
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers