Re: ATF in the petrol

To: Zempel David <Zempel_David@spmm.lmms.lmco.com>
Subject: Re: ATF in the petrol
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 10:11:26 -0800
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Zempel David wrote:

> On Sunday I finally got the TR4 on the road.  Had to rebuild the hydraulics.
> And with all of the unexpected travel out of town due to work that task took
> much longer than expected.  Where did the great weather go?  Anyway, the darn
> thing has taken up smoking (read, stuck ring or bad valve guides).  Now I'm
> wondering, I knew someone in college some 25 years ago that used to add
> Automatic Transmission Fluid to every tank of gas in order to keep the engine
> clean (on the inside dummy).  In fact their dad had installed a 2 gallon
> container with a small crank pump and a feeder line to the fuel tank.  The
> instructions were to give one turn on the crank every time the tank was
> filled.  I digress.  Anyway, I'm thinking a adding a small amount of ATF to my
> tank and crossing my fingers.  Has anyone done this?  Did it work?  Did it
> cause any problems?

I recall seeing somebody at a gas station sometime during the late 60's
pouring the stuff directly into the carb. of a full size Yank Tank.  He
said it was to lubricate the upper valve system.  I don't know if it
helped, but it created a smoke screen reminicent of WW2 movies.

BTW, If you try this, Make sure to rev up the engine high enough to burn
the mixture otherwise you'll kill the engine and with ATF collecting in
the carbs, you'll have a terrible time starting it.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit