Re: Dashboard

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Dashboard
From: "Jane Burdekin" <burdekij@bvsd.k12.co.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 05:25:54 -0700
Greg,
I did the same thing to my GT6 in the back, but I used walnut ply wood.  It
looks really great and does deaden the sound a bit.  I haven't done the
interior yet but I'm hesitating to cover up that wood in the back with
carpet.  For my dash, I just used the original and sanded and finished with
a combination of minwax and a poly finish.  Looks good since it's not a
convertable I guess you would have less weather damage in a GT6 than a
spit.   Just my 2 cents.

Jane
'67 GT6

> Hi,
>
> I have a solid dash in my GT6+ and although it isn't as pleasing as the
> original dash it is holding up just fine. I think the only reason I would
> consider going to a plastic laminate dash is if I could duplicate the
> original orange tinted veneer, which I find very pleasing. I've worked
with
> laminates in my career as a designer and developer of kitchen and bath
> cabinetry. If I find a suitable laminate I would probably use medium
density
> fiberboard as a substrate to minimize shrinkage and expansion from
changes in
> temperature and humidity. Plywood is fine too, but it's open end grain
will
> take on moisture and swell if not properly sealed. I don't have anything
> against laminates. In fact I've seen many consumer focus groups that
can't
> tell laminate from real wood when they are side by side. Often they
select
> the laminate because it is so uniform in grain and free of natural
character
> marks.
>
> I have used 3/8" plywood to replace the luggage deck, spare tire and gas
tank
> cover panels in my GT6+. The original factory millboard was a poor choice
for
> long term service. The plywood is stronger and adds some sound deadening.
The