Re: Dashboard

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dashboard
From: Dave Fain <KC3565L@sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 08:12:15 -0700
It isn't the weight of the instruments so much as the
tendency of solid lumber to develop cracks when exposed
to drying and temperature extremes.  That's why plywood
is a better choice for automobile dashes.  If you want
something really exotic, make the panel from good quality
plywood (birch works well and isn't too expensive) and
cover it with veneer after you get all the holes cut and
the panel trimmed to fit.  Somebody recently mentioned
covering the panel with plastic laminate, then applying
varnish.  I don't think I would want to do that on mine,
but it's an interesting idea.  There are some pretty
realistic laminates out there.
Dave Fain