RE: J-Type Overdrive Problem

To: "'Brian Day'" <1briand@mail.airmail.net>
Subject: RE: J-Type Overdrive Problem
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 16:07:13 -0700
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Brian, I suspect your problem may be a faulty 3rd/4th gear switch on the
gearbox. On mine (a 76) the wiring diagram indicates that *unless* the
car is in 3rd or 4th, the solenoid will not get power. It sounds like
your switch may be bad or the solenoid power lead may be wired straight
through the 3/4 switch. This switch is located on the top of the
gearbox. (The reverse switch - to control the backup lights - is on the
side of the gearbox).

The 3rd/4th switch on my car has a yellow/green wire coming from the
steering column switch and a yellow/purple wire leading to the solenoid.
The other wire on the solenoid goes to a ground connection (the gearbox
case in my car).

If yours is wired like this, you can test the 3/4 switch by checking the
continuity between the switch connections when in the desired gears (3
and 4). If you get continuity in all gears, then the switch is likely
bad and you might need a new one. This is an easy check but only if you
have the top of the gearbox accessible. Of course to do this, you need
to remove the gearbox tunnel cover which requires removal of a bunch of
stuff from the interior.

Good luck,

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)