Re: j-type overdrive problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: j-type overdrive problem
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 09:20:49 GMT
On 26 Nov 1997, Trevor Jordan wrote:

> I thought the OD was locked out because it could not withstand the high
> torque on low gears.

True.

In addition, the OD oil pump is connected to the gearbox outgoing axle.
This means there may be problems getting sufficient oil pressure to
operate it correctly, especially with a partially worn unit.

> The A model OD operated on 2/3/4 but the J model only
> operated on 3/4.  Perhaps the J model was not as strong as the A or perhaps
> Triumph just became more conservative.

I don't think the A is stronger. Probably they found that after initial
curiosity wore of, they never used nor needed the 2nd gear OD. Especially
with the available torque of the 2.5.

(I am certainly among them: I did in fact disconnect 2nd gear OD on my A
overdrive since I found that I from time to time forgot to disengage OD
when going from 1st to 2nd. My mechanical gut feeling told me that the
resulting sluggish engagement of the OD in combination with the torque
levels on the outgoing axle of a tuned 2.5 at WOT would probably be
harmful to the cone clutch.)

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway