Re: J-Type Overdrive Problem

To: Brian Day <1briand@mail.airmail.net>
Subject: Re: J-Type Overdrive Problem
From: "Thomas A. Strange" <jantoms@vbe.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 00:28:36 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brian Day wrote:

> Tom,
>
> Thanks for the response.  I fear that the wiring for the OD might be jury
> rigged beyond hope.  Last night I followed the black wire from the stalk
> mounted switch.  It goes to ground.  This suggests to me that perhaps the
> wiring is reversed.  I would guess, based on your explanation, that the
> ground should be at a point after the transmission mounted switch, not
> before the stalk mounted switch.  If you happen to recall where the two
> stalk mounted switch wires go, I would appreciate you letting me know.
>
> Thanks again.
>

> > Brian Day wrote:
> > >
> > > This past summer, >
> > > The transmission works great with one exception.  There is no lockout as
> > > there should be for 1st and 2nd gears.>
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Brian Day
> > > '73 TR6
> > > CF 9167U
Brian,
  It seems I may have partially misled you.  I checked both Chiltons &
Haynes wiring manuals (the scary part is that they agreed with each
other)  & this is what you should have according to them:

  W    from  fusebox         to  OD relay pin W1
  N    from  fusebox         to  OD relay pin C1
  Y/p  from  OD relay pin C2 to  OD solenoid (thru 2 connectors)
  B    from  OD solenoid     to  ground
  Y/g  from  OD relay pin W2 to  column switch
  B    from  column switch   to  connector (& continues as) - -
  Y    from  connector       to  gearbox switch (thru 1 more connector)
  B    from  gearbox switch  to  ground

  W = white
  N = brown
  Y/p = yellow with purple tracer
  B = black
  Y/g = yellow with green tracer
  Y = yellow

  If you do have a second gear OD, there will be a second gear selector
switch wired in parallel to the 3/4 switch.  There is no speed switch on
the TR6.  You may find that the solenoid is a case ground, & does not
require the black wire to ground.
  I seriously doubt that you will have to worry about any wiring at the
relay.  If someone has modified it, it was probably at the trans or
column switch for lack of a wiring diagram during eng/trans R&R or
service, or one of many other reasons that no one remembers or ever
knew.  From experience, you may also find that instead of drawing 2
power sources from the fusebox, you may get power from the fuse box and
from the "hot" side of either the brake or backup light switch.  Some
cars also reverse the order of the column switch and the gear selector
switch.  Electrically, either will work, as both switches have to be
closed to get power through the circuit.  This is generally arranged for
ease of building & installing the wiring harness (r/h drive vs l/h drive
etc.) but unless you are specifically interested in complete originality
it won't make any difference.
  Sorry for the delay, but I hope this helps.
Tom Strange Classicautosports Ltd., Appleton, Wi., 920-733-5013