clutch problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: clutch problems
From: Stig Nikolaj Fasmer Blomberg <blomberg@get2net.dk>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 13:31:15 +0200

A few weeks ago I posted a question to the spitfirelist concerning a
malfunction, which i related to the clutch. Back then, I couldn't get into
different gears without applying force and the clutch was hard to depress.
I received several good advices, and then I did following.

1. I checked the pivot pin. The pin was there and working fine.
2. Changed fluid (used dot 4). Didn't solve the problem.
3. Cleaned the master and disassembled the slavecylinder. Let it soak for a
few days. Total cleanout and then reassemble. No sale - didn't work

Now I have bleedet the whole system, and I have still got a problem, though
it is not the entire same as the one I started with. (Here comes my present
problem)

It feels like the clutch doesn't engage properly. It is possible for me to
get into different gears (even though 1. and reverse is hard), but the
clutch doesn't seem to engage properly. When I accelerate fast, there comes
an ugly grinding sound due to the clutch not entirely engaged - as if the
clutch is half way depressed.

Now, I think this is a rather simple thing to repair, but I can't figure
out what it is since I have done most of the hydraulic system. I'm 99% sure
that there's no air in and there is plenty of fluid.

I hope some of you guys can help me here before I get down on my knees and
crawl to the local garage.

TIA
Nick, 1976 spitfire

By the way, I disassembled the slave without destroying the cap (ceiling
cup). What is the function of the cap besides keeping the pin in the
middle? I didn't seal it hard when I put it back together. Should I have
done that??