Re[2]: Re[2]: TR6: Why, Why, Why???

To: canada <canada@voyageronline.net>, "scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.com>
Subject: Re[2]: Re[2]: TR6: Why, Why, Why???
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 09:51:38 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Ian

You can interpret static and dynamic timing settings as references to the
ignition timing when the engine is either not in motion (static) e.g not
running, or in motion (dynamic) e.g. the engine running.

Another way to look at it is when you apply the terms static and dynamic to when
the vacuum retard not working (static) or is working (dynamic) when the engine
is idling.  Which is what I think the Bentley manual is doing.

So if you set your timing with the vacuum retard unhooked (and plugged at the
source of vacuum) with the engine idling then you should use the static (10-12
BTDC) setting since the vacuum retard is not "in motion".  If you set your
timing with the vacuum retard hooked up with the engine idling then you should
use the dynamic (4 ATDC) setting since the vacuum retard is "in motion".

If you set your timing with the engine off as some people apparently do then you
use the static (10-12 BTDC) timing setting since obviously nothing (engine or
vacuum retard) is "in motion".

Seems to me that setting the timing using the static (10-12 BTDC)is the "safest"
way to go since if you choose to hook the vacuum retard back up and for some
reason it is not operating properly your car will still run decently at most, if
not all, of the operating range.

At least that's how I process all of this timing stuff info..

Bud 71TR6 CC57365