Re: Re[2]: TR6: Why, Why, Why???

To: Jack Clark <drjclark@mindspring.com>, TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: TR6: Why, Why, Why???
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 19:06:01 -0400
Jack R. Clark writes:

>Ian,

>Same exact thing happened to me. But following several suggestions by the
>listers, I set the timing statically (engine NOT running) at 11 degrees
>BTDC, plugged the retard, and the car runs very well. The retard is simply
>a smog control measure, which limits optimal performance.
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jack,

The vacuum retard does no such thing.  When properly connected
the retard action is only present at Idle.  When the throttle
plates opens the vacuum goes away (because the port in the carb
throat is positioned to be aft of the throttle plate only when
the throttle is closed) and what results is no different than what
you have with the retard unit disconnected.  There is no effect
on power or fuel economy.  All the retard does is reduce
emmisions at idle.

As for fuel economy; who cares about what the fuel economy is at idle.
Who much time do you spend at idle anyway.  Wear and tear at idle is
negligible compared to that under load.

So unless you have a ruptured dighram or nonstandard carburation
I suggest you leave it operational.

Dave Massey