Re: Re[2]: TR6: Why, Why, Why???

To: "Bud Rolofson" <Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov>, "scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.com>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: TR6: Why, Why, Why???
From: canada <canada@voyageronline.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 98 22:10:11 -0000
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Bud/Scott--

Well, I guess I am confused.  On page 511, the Bentley manual specifies
"ignition timing at idle:  4 degree A.T.D.C."  (Static timing is listed
at "10 degrees B.T.D.C.") Supposedly, these are the specs for the 75-76
with smog equipment.  I set it at 4 degrees (with the retard--not the
advance as I mistakenly wrote earlier--plugged).  It started and idled
well, then began to stumble a bit, and within 5 minutes was missing quite
badly while accelerating.  When I moved it to 10 or 12 degrees, retard
plugged, idle 850, it runs perfectly.  Have I misunderstood static and
dynamic timing?  Or is the distributor not the only retarded thing about
this car?

Ian (Learning just enough to be dangerous)