Re: TR6: Why, Why, Why???

To: canada <canada@voyageronline.net>
Subject: Re: TR6: Why, Why, Why???
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 23:46:29 -0400
Cc: Bud Rolofson <Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov>, "scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
canada wrote:
> Well, I guess I am confused.  On page 511, the Bentley manual specifies
> "ignition timing at idle:  4 degree A.T.D.C."  (Static timing is listed
> at "10 degrees B.T.D.C.")

  Correct. Notice that the static timing is similar to most
other cars. Only when idling is the vacuum retard working,
which brings up that 4ATDC figure.

  Note that it's not all bad news. The late timing does
give a smooth idle. It has emissions reasoning too, but it
was also helpful at giving a smooth idle.

  This was important around the 70s, because customers were
coming to expect their cars to not only perform, but to have
nice manners as well. A brash 60s sports car look was nice,
but at the dealer checking a new car out people also wanted
to hear a nice smooth modern purr. That "new car" sound.

> I set it at 4 degrees (with the retard--not the
> advance as I mistakenly wrote earlier--plugged).

 No, don't do that. The 4 degrees ATDC is the spec to set it
to with the retard in full operation. If your retard was
plugged, that explains the problem.

  Set it to 4ATDC with the retard working.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca