tr6 thrust washers

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tr6 thrust washers
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 12:15:18 -0600
All this recent talk of thrust washers had me dive into the Bentley to check
out the procedure. Now I plan to do the test on my car (76k original miles,
oil pressure 75 at start up, 50-55 at 60mph, 25-30 at idle when warm --
using Castrol Syntec 5W50). Excuse the seemingly naive question but...

When performing the end float test (ie. lever the crank rearward and depress
the clutch to measure the total movement), is it necessary to put the car up
on stands? I can't see any reason to do this but the book seems to suggest
doing so. Is it more effective to "lever" the crank with the car up?

As I said, please excuse the seemingly naive nature of this question :-)

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---