Re: TR6 Thrust Washers

To: lang@isis.mit.edu
Subject: Re: TR6 Thrust Washers
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 21:00:38 EDT
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

<< Hi,

 Sorry to hear about your tribulations. I had a similar problem when the DCO
 (ME!) installed a set of T.W. _backwards_ and wound up cutting into the
 crankshaft. Badly. The crank was trash.

 Not to bum you out, but you should start looking for a crank. They are not
 very expensive to buy new, and after spending $300 - $500 on one to make it
 "better". you'll have way more power that you used to have... think -
 balance and blueprint... ;-)

 I wound up taking a crank from a parts car and I'm still using that one. I
 have had a new crank at a shoppe for something like 9 months, but let's not
 "go there". I gotta "rescue" that one some day. Some people. Sheeesh.

 Bye,
 rml
 TR6's >>

RML and everyone else who has any interest,

I posted this a while back but for those of you who did not see it, I'll
repeat it.  I believe I have found a cure for the thrust washer blues, in some
cases anyway.  My thrust washers got dumped into the oil pan and I had end cap
wear as well as wear into the crank surface.  The crank surface was worn, but
the casting material on the end cap actually polished the surface on the crank
when the two made contact.

I replaced the stock thrust washer with a washer that I had made up using a
different material and my engine is running great.  I've got about 170 miles
on the engine and so far all is well, no more wear.  The new washer does not
wear like the soft copper faced stock washers, and has all the other
characteristics of the steel washer.

You can read my story at: <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Trmgafun/tr6.html";>
TR6 Thrust Washer Page</A>

Scott Helms