Re: Wheel Balancing

To: dynamic@transport.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wheel Balancing
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 00:41:55 EST
In a message dated 98-12-11 22:38:31 EST, dynamic@transport.com writes:

> OK... I think this makes sense.  Probably because the hubs are not
>  balanced, so when you bolt on a balanced wheel/tire, it rotates with the
>  hub, which of course is not balanced.  Is this right?

Hey, my wheels were "balanced".  But when they were put on the hubs the whole
thing became a unit and at that point the unit was not balanced.

>  If so, would it not be cheaper in the long run to have the hubs balanced?
>  Naturally, this would be very difficult for rear hubs... or maybe not.
>  But, if the hubs were balanced, then you could bolt on any balanced
>  wheel/tire onto the hub in any orientation, right?
>
>  Please correct my understanding where necessary.

Pete, when you have the whole thing balanced (by balancing the wheels on the
car) - the WHOLE thing is balanced.  If you balance the hubs and then put on
the wheel that would not mean that the whole thing (as a unit) is no longer
balanced.  (And $10 a wheel is cheap IMO).  See what I mean?  Cheers.

Art Kelly