RE: TR6 Oil Pressure Line

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Oil Pressure Line
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 16:32:31 -0700

Interesting that the BSP plug was available at a chain store... however, the
TR6 block is threaded for an NPT fitting AFAIK. At least that is how mine
is. But this is not your problem.

As for the line, I'd say the black plastic is pretty old to be trying to
stretch it onto the fitting. Do you really want to be driving on the highway
at 80mph only to have your freshly repaired plastic line fail again??? By
the time you found out your line was broken again you'd be looking at few
more dollars than a new line would cost I'd say. How much is a new TR6
engine anyway?

Three options here as I see it:
1. Order a new line from wherever and install it.

2. Get a suitable length of plastic line (you might have to look around for
this -- I found some in clear at a local industrial distributor, mine is now
clear instead of black) and install on your existing fittings. Of course
this means you will be pulling the line off the gauge which is a little
harder to reach than the end in the block. You'll have to tell them what
it's for so they get you the right kind of line and bring you fittings in so
you get the right size.

3. Replace the plastic line with ss/teflon. Best option (this is what I'm
planning on doing, just have to make the time to pull the dash down into the
"service" position) but requires you to find a BSP fitting for the gauge.
They're re out there but not easily obtained (Pegasus and Racer Wholesale
have em).

Good luck.

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---