RE: TR6 Oil Pressure Line

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Oil Pressure Line
From: Stuart Steele <ssteele@switchsolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 18:22:32 -0600
Hello Peter:

Peter Zaborski writes:

>   Stuart,
>
>   On my TR6, each end the pressure line consists of two parts:
>   - a barbed fitting onto which the plastic line is press fitted, and
>   - a nut which seals the "flared" end of the barbed piece
>   against the male
>   fitting it fits to (gauge or block adapter).

Bizarrely, both of my TR6s had the arrangement I have described.  One
has been in my family since new, although work was done on it until the
dissolution of Triumph by a Triumph dealer.  Both from your post, and
from Brian Schlorff's, it becomes clear that what my cars have/had is in
no way stock.  I regret that I have caused unnecessary confusion on the
issue.

>   I think the brass collar you refer to is the fitting one
>   gets in a typical
>   aftermarket gauge fitting kit (which I have never bought or
>   used so can't
>   speak about).

Yes, this is exactly what one gets in an aftermarket kit, having
replaced an oil line on my truck with just such an aftermarket kit, and
having used the tube and fitting to repair two TR6 oil pressure gauge
lines.  I replaced the tube and both fittings on my 1973 TR6 eleven
years ago with just this sort of arrangement, and mirabile dictu!, it
has never leaked - however, it is clear now that this is an infernal
DPO-ism!

Stuart Steele