RE: TR6 Oil Pressure Line

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Oil Pressure Line
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:11:55 -0700

Stuart,

On my TR6, each end the pressure line consists of two parts:
- a barbed fitting onto which the plastic line is press fitted, and
- a nut which seals the "flared" end of the barbed piece against the male
fitting it fits to (gauge or block adapter).

I think the PI cars had a slightly different configuration at the block but
don't know what that is for sure.

I think the brass collar you refer to is the fitting one gets in a typical
aftermarket gauge fitting kit (which I have never bought or used so can't
speak about). The stock line on a TR6 does not have this. Also, as I said
before, the gauge requires a BSP fitting (to make a proper seal) which is
not usually supplied with the kits in North America since we don't really
know what BSP is (except Ace Hardware apparently).

Not trying to flame anyone, just trying to set the record straight. Also,
losing an engine due to saving $20 by reusing a piece of 25 year old plastic
attached to a fitting in an engine block undergoing numerous cycles of hot
(as in engine block hot) and cold (as in whatever ambient temps the car is
exposed to over its life) is not really worth it in my case. But of course
that is JMO.

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---