RE: TR6 Oil Pressure Line

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Oil Pressure Line
From: Stuart Steele <ssteele@switchsolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:48:07 -0600
Hello Peter:

>   > As I recall, this is a plastic tube with a brass compression
>   > fitting.

Peter Zaborski writes,

>   Nope, press on fitting -- no compression sleeve.

Perhaps we are calling the same thing different names - I am remembering
a brass collar which slides over the plastic tube - the collar itself
strikes me as having been a compression fitting; the tube, less so.  If
I am wrong in my assessment of this collar as sealing in compression, I
regret the choice of description.  Regardless, a tiny collar exists on a
tiny tube, and is squeezed by a tiny nut against a tiny fitting on a
comparatively enormous engine block in a tiny car, which in my case, is
in a tiny garage, covered by a gigantic tarp.

>   > a replacement tube-and-two-fittings assembly is
>   > available from any auto parts store (this is a standard
>   > size ), for perhaps $5.00.
>
>   Only if you consider 1/8-28 BSP a standard fitting. That is
>   what the Smith's
>   oil pressure gauge takes. The TR6 block is 1/8-27 NPT -- this is a
>   "standard" fitting (in North America anyway).

Alas, I have murked up every word, it seems!- the tube and what I am
calling a compression fitting or collar in these repair kits are of a
standard ( or at least, workably compatible ) size, ( or have proven to
have been, in my experience ), not the actual nut.  In every case ( 3 ),
I have reused the nuts at both ends without problem.

Alas, given that this path now seems fraught with danger, I retract my
support therefor, and henceforth, ( effective immediately ), vehemently
urge no reader to follow this course, on pain of terrible and sudden
demise!

Stuart Steele