Re: TR6 conks out, quick question...

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Gernot Vonhoegen" <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: TR6 conks out, quick question...
From: "Lonn Howard" <hoops@owt.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 01:33:50 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"

>Folks while driving up to the uni, The TR conked out. Sounds like fuel
>starvation, you drive along and then absolutely nothing, no backfire or
such
>just <broom...blllll...>
>I'm always suspect of ignition failure, the rotor is ok, the cap is as
new,
>the wires are all where they belong, points are good, opening and
closing,
>leads are newish, plugs about 2k old. Fuel filter in front of carb
shows
>some pertol as its in a slope, but not to the outlet. Pump sloshes some
fuel
>in when engine cranked, about say 5ml of petrol in intervalls.
>
>Any suggestions, mine is pump duff.
>
>Cheers, Gernot

Does it restart after cranking for a while?  If your fuel pump is the
original type you can manually operate it to see if the fuel filter
fills to its normal level and the float bowls fill.  Try it after the
car conks out.  If so, when the bowls are full you should feel an
increased resistance in the pump lever.  If the car then starts, your
fuel pump needs a fix.
Lonn Howard
'70 TR6  -mine
'71 TR6  -in my garage
'70 MGB GT  -ours
'89 Saab Turbo Convertible  -hers

"We are but temporary custodians with an obligation of preservation."