TR6 conks out, quick question...

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 conks out, quick question...
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:01:30 -0500
Cc: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Gernot Vonhoegen writes:

>Folks while driving up to the uni, The TR conked out. Sounds like fuel
>starvation, you drive along and then absolutely nothing, no backfire or
such
>just <broom...blllll...>
>I'm always suspect of ignition failure, the rotor is ok, the cap is as
new,
>the wires are all where they belong, points are good, opening and closing,
>leads are newish, plugs about 2k old. Fuel filter in front of carb shows
>some pertol as its in a slope, but not to the outlet. Pump sloshes some
fuel
>in when engine cranked, about say 5ml of petrol in intervalls.
>
>Any suggestions, mine is pump duff.
>
>Cheers, Gernot

Did the car ever restart or did you have to call the hook?

My TR6 has conked out a couple of times.  One time it
restarted right away.  Probably vapor lock.  The other time
I manually operated the pump and the car restarted.  I figured
the fuel pump was weak so I replaced it with an electric one
and have had no problem since.

I also had a spark problem caused by the spark occuring when
the rotor was too far away form the pole in the cap.  New
points fixed that.

Check for spark at the plugs.  Try starting with starter fluid.
Pull a fuel line and check for fuel flow.  If you can't get it
running by late May, I'll look at it then.

Dave Massey