RE: Re: TR3a windscream assembly

To: drew@pixar.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Re: TR3a windscream assembly
From: JIM_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:31:27 -0500

--openmail-part-159ec60b-00000001

Drew,
If I understand your picture correctly I definitely installed it backwards. I
thought the rubber should point toward the front, and I don't think there were
any words embossed on mine, but I'll check that.
I think turning it around would just about deal with the amount of rippling I
have, once the rubber is "folded under" upon the frame's reinstallation on the
scuttle.
I haven't attached the stanchions yet so don't know what I'll encounter there.
Jim
*****************
Jim,

I don't know if this is the problem or not but there's definitly
a front side and a back side to the lower seal. In fact the stuff
from one of the suppliers (TRF I think) has the word REAR embossed
in the middle of one side. If you look at the piece from the side
you'll see that the top of the 'T' isn't perpendicular to the long
side. You want to install it such that the long side of the 'T' is
forced down onto the scuttle. Lousy ASCII graphics ahead.

            __
             \
              \    <- long side of rubber seal
               \

      <- front of car

The angle is pretty exagerated but hopefully you get the idea.

Even once I got this right I still haven't figured out the correct
way of fitting the ends of the seals into the stantions.

> So here's the question: once this rubber is installed, should it be
>      kind of wavy, to accomodate the bend it will undergo when placed
>      against the body? Or, have I stretched it too much? Or, will it
>      tighten back up in a few days?
>      Any useful insight appreciated.
>      Thanks,
>      Jim Wallace