RE: International drivers license

To: "'J Thomas Rippel'" <JTRippel@CSI.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: International drivers license
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 20:15:10 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
The effect of an "incident" on your license would depend on where the
"incident" occurred and the relationship that country has with the US and
the specific reciprocity your home state has in its laws.  So the answer is
too location specific to give an answer.  If a foreign nation takes your
license and doesn't give it back you could always apply for a duplicate at
home.  Any suspension/revocation based on an act in the foreign nation would
require both notice of that and an opportunity to have a hearing on the
issue in order to comply with minimal due process in the US. Without that
the suspension would be effective in the foreign country, but not the US.

In the US there is a property right in the DL that can not be
suspended/revoked without due process.  Not that a whole lot of process is
required, just a minimum.  In Georgia DUI over .10% Blood Alcohol is a
required suspension, but the cop MUST give you a form informing you of that
and the form tells you the suspension is effective 10 days from the date of
form unless you request a hearing. Requesting a hearing postpones the
suspension until the hearing.  This suspension is administrative and not a
part of the criminal dui case which can cause its own separate suspension.

I don't recall what the AAA license costs, but if you going to be doing a
bunch of driving and the costs is reasonable then the IDL is probably worth
it.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK