RE: Weber Carb Question

To: "Patrick Barber" <patbarber@home.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Weber Carb Question
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@pupress.princeton.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:29:34 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Patrick,

I'm no Weber maven, but I'd bet that it's the transition fuel ports. These
are just tiny (#80 or smaller) holes where the butterflies meet the roof of
the carb. There's a threaded brass plug that will give you access. First,
make sure they're all clear and not clogged. Then, make sure that the carb
hasn't been messed up at some point -- the transition ports should be
covered while the throttle is closed, then, as the throttle is opened, they
should be exposed.

I have heard rumors of desperate Italian car guys who have epoxied holes
closed and drilled new ones to correct problems. DON'T try this at home.
LAST RESORT.

Did you notice that DCOE 40's come in different flavors? Like DCOE 40-2 and
DCOE 40-18? One of the main differences between Weber models are the number
and configuration of these transition ports...

Hey, and if they're clogged and you un-clogg 'em, it'll solve the problem
but you'll probably have to retune...

IMHO - Don't listen to the guys who say that a 1500 is too small for Webers,
there's plenty of ALFA 1300's out there running just fine on DCOE 40's. Just
get the right chokes...and everything else. Use the chart in any of the
Weber books.

Good Luck!

Chris Lillja
'66 TR4A