TRavails

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TRavails
From: "Joe Donovan" <jdonovan@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 20:22:09 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I'm not without sympathy for the guy who has had rear end problems with his
TR but as a consequence has been disabled for the first time in 10 years and
70K miles.   On the other hand, I've had my TR-6 since May and have been
"unable to limp home" three times in about 1000 miles.  Which experience is
more typical of the breed, I wonder?

The problem seems to be either ignition or fuel related.   The first time it
simply stopped running completely on a crowded highway with no warning.
Mechanic replaced electronic ignition with old-fashioned ignition.  Then it
began to intermittently cut out, but only when hot.   This has progressed to
a point where I turn the key, the car starts for an instant, then dies.  I
replaced the rotor, distributor cap and wires, to no avail.

Any suggestions would be welcome.   Probably won't actually fix it until
next spring.

While all this was going on, I drove up from RI to MA on the interstate at
night in my RAV4 and was passed at very high speed by a red TR-6.   My heart
sank as if I had seen my first love in an embrace.   If these cars were
reliable, they would be worth their weight in gold!

Joe Donovan
'73 TR-6 "The Beast"