Re: Triumphs verse Wife

To: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@lightspeed.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Triumphs verse Wife
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 07:17:37 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi Bill,

I also have a wife and three younger kids.  I can relate to your story,
because initially, while my wife was supportive of my acquiring and working
on my '67 Spitfire, I think she's beginning to resent the time that it's
taking, especially since I have such a busy schedule anyway.  Unlike your
wife, mine has no interest in LBC's or going to shows whatsoever.  I'll be
lucky if she'll even go for a ride with me when I get the car off the jack
stands.  I'm fine with that.  My wife jokingly said that I should name the
car "Mrs. Jones" -- that woman DOES have a great sense of humor.  The name
has stuck, I think.  Me and Mrs. Jones...  we've got a thing going on..."
Ha ha.

For one thing, if you're not doing so already, invest in a box of latex
surgical gloves to keep your hands clean.  Also, take care not to track
grease inside the house (like I did).  Surprise your wife with a coupon book
for free lattes at Starbucks.  Then, while she's out having her coffee, work
on your car, ha ha.  I work from home, so I try to find time to spend time
with Mrs. Jones while my wife is away whenever possible, to lesson the
impact of my hobby on the wife.  I don't know about your wife, but having
the garage cluttered and messy drives her nuts.  Of course, having my tools
spread all around the car doesn't help matters.

Personally, I think that your work habits are really nice.  Unless you're
banging things around in the garage and waking everyone up at five in the
morning!  Maybe if you trade ONE of your TR's for that Morris woody...  Just
a thought.    Naaah, just buy her the Starbucks coupons!  Sincerely, I wish
you all the best.  I think it's nice that you're trying to keep your wife
happy.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 (that one of these days, I might even get to drive!)