RE: TR3 on E-Bay - 14,000 original miles

To: Randall <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: TR3 on E-Bay - 14,000 original miles
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:46:04 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Randall wrote:

> And, it does look to be in nice shape (and with a factory hardtop).  If it's

Well, no. It looked wrong and, sure enough, closer reading (maybe on the
web site or on eBay; can't remember) does describe it as a fiberglass
hardtop. Only the very earliest optional factory hardtops on TR2's were
fiberglass.

> really original (unrestored) and looks that nice, I'd say it's easily worth
> $11K (and at least a few people agree, the bid has risen from $1500 to
> $11300.)   It definitely does not look over-restored, and has just enough
> tiny flaws (like the sprung door latch) that it might really be original.

Does anyone else wonder why the car looks so shiny on the outside and
clean in the interior area, but so...well...crappy under the bonnet? And
what's with the commission number plate hanging by one rivet? I just find
it a bit puzzling that a low-mileage car otherwise so well cared for
would look so...well...you know...there. OK, photos can be deceiving --
perhaps in both good and bad ways.

> Who knows, it might even be a TR3B !

I'd be curious to know what the commission number is (on that loose
plate). It definitely shows a rather late front end, what with the
later-style smooth letters and all. Not sure about whether the headlamp
rims are correct or not, but that also is one of those items that could
be open to debate in terms of "correctness"!

And I'd half expect a low-mileage original to still sport original optional
Michelin X or Dunlop Gold Seal wide whitewalls, especially on a black car
with wire wheels!

Lots of questions, I suppose....

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *