Re: Torque wrench woes

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Torque wrench woes
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:43:15 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <Gbouff1@aol.com>
> While you may very well have a defective wrench, are you sure that you had
> the correct torque setting?  Many wrenches as well as torque tables list
> values in Foot Lbs, Inch Lbs, and Kilos,  The wrench that I own, has dual
> scales in both Foot Lbs and Metric.  It is quite easy to make an error,
> especially for someone with less than optimal eyesight.
>
> Good luck on your next "wrenching" experience.
>
> Gary Bouffard
> 59 TR3A  TS58399

The wrench was definitely set correctly.  It was a fairly cheap wrench, I'll
admit ($30), made in Korea and all that.  The ft/lb setting was located in
the handle.  It worked fine on a couple of "practice" bolts.  I got the idea
that it might be the angle when I reefed on it.  I see that some people
prefer the visible gauge style of torque wrench.  But that's not always
practical when lying on one's back and reaching under the car.  On the other
hand, you can't do much of that with a TR6 and no jack-stands.  I'll
probably just wait until I really need a torque wrench and then get a
different type or brand.  I can't help wondering, though, if these "click"
guys are just a little too finicky, considering a couple of the messages
I've gotten off-line.

--Phil