RE: Torque wrench woes

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Torque wrench woes
From: Kurt Oblinger <koblinger@linkline.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 20:38:02 -0800
Philip,

I would imagine that the wrench you have has a range of 10-250 ft/lbs. I
have a Craftsman wrench of that range and I have found that in the lower
end of the torque range, the "click" is almost imperceptible. In talking to
people who really know tools, I have been told that torque wrenches have
the greatest degree of inaccuracy near the upper and lower limits of their
useable range. As a result you may need two or three wrenches to accurately
cover the range of torque values found on cars.

Cheers,

Kurt Oblinger