Re: Torque wrench woes

To: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Torque wrench woes
From: Jeff Scarbrough <jeff@negia.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 19:58:22 -0500
At 01:29 PM 2/14/00 -0800, Philip Haldeman wrote:

>Then I went to tighten down the drain bolt with my handy-dandy new
>wrench.  I set the dial, reefed on the bolt, putting pressure on it, but the
>wrench didn't "click".  I decided I wasn't cranking hard enough, although my
>experience told me the bolt was plenty tight.  Okay, I cranked harder.  No
>"click".  Harder still.  I stopped and tried again, etc.  No "click". Then,
>oops!  I felt the whole bolt give way.  Of course, I thought I'd stripped
>the threads (and so did my wife, by the sound of the cursing coming from the
>garage).  . . .but luckily, it turns out I'd crushed the drain plug
>gasket---and it was this that caused the bolt to suddenly give way as it
>smashed the gasket down.  Later in the day, I replaced that gasket, got out
>my normal old socket wrench and tightened up the bolt in the normal "snug"
>manner to which I'm accustomed.

It's possible that the gasket is designed to crush, like a spark plug
gasket - I don't know about your application.  It's also possible that the
torque spec you got for the bolt was wrong -- I'd expect something in the
range of 14 to 18 foot-pounds.

The click should be definite - no question as to when you reach it.  You
will eventually need one if you do much work on your vehicle...I even use
mine for torqueing up the wheels, after I get back from the tire store.