Clutch Master Cylinder

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, British Cars List <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Master Cylinder
From: Shayne Peterson <triumph-tr4@home.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 22:16:26 -0800
I have a problem that I would love a CHEAP solution to.
Vehicle: 63 TR4 (Surrey Top too)
Problem:  The hydraulic fitting on the clutch master cylinder has been
stripped of ANY substantial threads by an over-zealous repairman.  I
discovered after wondering why the clutch pedal seemed to be getting
softer by the day/week how air could be getting into the system.  I was
checking the tightness of this fitting by backing it off and discovered
that it was held in with silicone sealant.  So now, I have no clutch and
the car is sitting locked in the garage with a tankfull of stale gas.

I am looking for solutions.  I was thinking of boring out and tapping
the m/c one size up then installing an adapter, only, I can't find
anyone who makes an adapter for this fitting.  The only other options
that I could think of were to either weld up the hole in the m/c and
drill/tap it the correct size, but I'm afraid of damaging the m/c.  Or I
could drop a sleeve into the fitting...

I want to try to keep the car as original as possible so I don't want to
change the hardline.  And I don't really want to shell out ~US$130 for a
new m/c, but if the next meet gets here before I get a good remedy, I'll
have to.

Thank you in advance,
Shayne Peterson
1963 Triumph TR4