Re: Clutch Master Cylinder

Subject: Re: Clutch Master Cylinder
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 08:45:42 -0800
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, British Cars List <british-cars@autox.team.net>

Shayne Peterson wrote:

> I have a problem that I would love a CHEAP solution to.
> Vehicle: 63 TR4 (Surrey Top too)
> Problem:  The hydraulic fitting on the clutch master cylinder has been
> stripped of ANY substantial threads by an over-zealous repairman.

Shayne :

I agree with Barney, the preferred solution outside of a replacement MC
would be a Heli-coil (or equivalent, Heli-coil is a brand name).
However, I would suggest first looking for a shop to put one in for
you.  They will almost always do one insert considerably cheaper than
buying the tools yourself, and hopefully have a better chance of getting
it right.

If you do it yourself, you'll also need a tap handle, carb/brake cleaner
and Loctite.    Most likely, you'll also need something to trim off the
protruding end of the insert. I use a Dremel cut-off disc, as the
inserts are too hard to cut with nippers.  Be careful not to damage the
flare seat in the MC with the tap, and don't screw the insert all the
way to the bottom.  (The tap will not cut the last few threads to full
depth.)  Clean the threads with the carb/brake cleaner and coat the
insert with Loctite before screwing it in.  Let the Loctite set before
breaking off the tang and trimming the end.

The result is threads that are far stronger and more durable than the
originals.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver