Re: Clutch Master Cylinder

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch Master Cylinder
From: Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 09:08:40 -0500
Cc: Shayne Peterson <triumph-tr4@home.com>

>Problem:  The hydraulic fitting on the clutch master cylinder has been
>stripped of ANY substantial threads by an over-zealous repairman......

>I am looking for solutions.  I was thinking of boring out and tapping
>the m/c one size up then installing an adapter, only, I can't find
>anyone who makes an adapter for this fitting.The only other options
>that I could think of were to either weld up the hole in the m/c and
>drill/tap it the correct size, but I'm afraid of damaging the m/c.  Or I
>could drop a sleeve into the fitting...

Another lister suggested using JBWeld. I've done this before and it works.
You will have to re-do it every year or so, but it is a cheap temporary
alternative. The JbWeld will not form good threads to screw into, but will
act more as a sealer. Just be carful not to stop up the hole at the bottom
of the bore. And because the pipe will not be held tightly against the
flare at the end, you'll need to apply some of the JBWeld to the outside of
the pipe where it goes inside the fitting to seal this area, otherwise
fluid will leak up between the fitting and the pipe. I ended up covering
the entire fitting with JBWeld. It's definitely not a councours fix, as
you'll be able to see the JBWeld on the top of the fitting, but it'll solve
your problem for a while. Eventually you'll want to either try the
heli-coil approach or just replace the cylinder (which is what I ended up
doing).

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI