Re: Clutch Master Cylinder

To: Jim Bauder <jimbpps@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch Master Cylinder
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 15:32:51 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Mark Gendron <mgendron@speakeasy.net>, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu

Interesting point.  I revise my first thoughts...Steel on brass has a
lower coefficient of friction. Also, if you note, many moving parts in
cars are brass-to-steel. Important point, however, is that if brass is
used, you must make sure that their is a thourough coat of rubber
lubricant where the piston meets the brass...

Cheers..

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Jim Bauder wrote:

> Listers,
>
> My brake and clutch reliner, Robin Yates of Superior Friction in San Jose,
> CA, said that in his opinion, brass was far superior to stainless for the
> sleeves. He said he has had to drill out pistons from stainless resleeved
> cylinders but never from a brass resleeved cylinder.
>
> The brass sleeve seems to be harder than the original bore in the aluminum,
> diamaloy, pot metal, or whatever those Girling parts are made of. My new
> brass sleeved parts surely look great. Only time will tell!
>
> Apple Hydraulic resleeved my clutch slave and one of my wheel cylinders. (I
> wish I had done my master cylinders too!) Took a couple of weeks to and from
> and cost $40.00 each plus shipping. Of course, NFI & YMMV.
>
> Jim Bauder
> '58 TR3
> Palo Alto, CA

James A. Ruffner