Offering First To The List

To: "Beth & Ken" <bethken@erols.com>
Subject: Offering First To The List
From: "David Moag" <moag@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:37:56 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Ken,

It is surprising to me that you do not see Jeff's point on first offering to
the list. He (and I) see that as a small way of giving back to the list for
all of the advice and help that it has provided (for free). While I don't
personally know many of the listers, I feel very grateful to many of them
individually, and to all of them as a group. Without them I would not even
have attempted the restoration of my TR3B (heck, I wouldn't have even bought
the car to begin with had it not been for the list). Personally, I would
rather sell a Triumph part to a list member for $50 than list it on Ebay and
make $75 on it -- I'm not in the hobby for the money.

I've bought quite a few items on Ebay, and will continue to do so, but I've
never had any sort of "relationship" with any of those sellers. The listers,
on the other hand, have bent over backwards to help me whenever I've needed
it. From taking something apart on their car just to tell me what they see,
to photographing something and emailing it to me, to copying entire manuals
and sending them to me, to sending me an unobtainable part and not even
asking for payment, to showing up in my driveway to help tune up a carb. I
could go on, but no need. I've seen many listers answer your technical
questions to the list as well. I find it rather impossible to compare that
type of help to the strictly buying and selling that Ebay provides.

Dave Moag
62 TR3B
77 Spitfire
La Canada, CA

--snip--

> As to your "ethics" of offering it to the
> listers first, your into some kind of allegiance I don't see. I don't know
> the "listers" any more than I know the people on eBay. In fact,
> if I had to generalize, I've had better relationships  with the folks I've
> dealt with on eBay.

--snip--