TR3 Sudden Death Battery Syndrome Part II

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Sudden Death Battery Syndrome Part II
From: "Robert Van and Ann Cross" <vancross@visuallink.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 13:55:34 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Liisters,
As you may remember, I asked for your help after my battery seemed to
spontaneously go dead.  I appreciate all of the help.  I got a new battery
but there was no improvement.  The new battery read 12V, in fact it read 12V
at the selenoid, the terminals at the control box, etc.  Still, with the key
in the ignition "on" position, there was no generator light, head
lights,horn, etc.  I jump started the car without any problem and it ran
fine (ammeter charged satisfactorily, generator light went out, wipers
worked, headlights worked, etc.).  When I turned the car off, then turn the
key to the "on" position, the generator light came on (as it should).  I
pressed the start button and heard a "click" from the vicinity of the
selenoid.  Then, the generator light went out, headlights wouldn't work,
etc..  When I jump started the car, the starter motor barely turned over.
Does this sound like a bad selenoid to you?  The wiring system seems fine,
generator works fine, no fuses were blown.  Your input is greatly
appreciated.
P.S.  I checked the battery ground and it is very tight.
Thanks again, Bob Van
The TR3 that can but won't