Re: TR3 Sudden Death Battery Syndrome Part II

Subject: Re: TR3 Sudden Death Battery Syndrome Part II
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 23:50:45 -0700
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bob :

I think rather than a bad solenoid, you have a bad connection
somewhere.  My favorite candidate would be where the battery ground
strap is fastened to the body.  Corrosion and/or paint can cause an
intermittant connection, even when the joint is mechanically tight.

After cleaning that connection and retesting, my suggestion would be to
stimulate the problem (try to start the car) then start tracing with
your voltmeter.  Start at the starter solenoid, check from the large
post with the battery cable, to the body of the solenoid.  If you don't
find 12V there, check from the post to the battery ground post, and from
the body to the battery hot post.

If you do find 12V at the solenoid, then check at the voltage regulator,
from 'A' to 'E', then 'A1' to 'E'. 'A' is connected to the starter
solenoid through the ammeter, and 'A1' is connected to 'A' through the
regulator (either one could conceivably be intermittant).  If 'A1' is
hot, then the problem almost has to be the wire from 'A1' to the
headlight switch, or the connection at either end.

Randall
59 TR3A