Re: Volta-Drop

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Volta-Drop
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 21:43:05 -0700
Cc: Jack Levy <jack@cocoinc.com>, "Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

David Massey wrote:

> I'm not sure what a "Volta Drop" is but it sounds like a resistor.  If you
> put a 10 Amp load on it and THEN measure the voltage you should read about
> 6 volts.
>
> Just a guess.

Sounds like a very good guess to me.  I'm also not familiar with the
name "Volta-drop", but the multiple taps for different currents sure
sound like the resistors that were fairly common back in the 50s.
(Seems like I've seen one in the JC Whitney catalog not too long ago.)

So, the recommendation to try it with a load is a very good one.

Note that (obviously) the output voltage will be very dependent on load,
and as someone else noted, the "Volta Drop" is going to get quite hot.
The units I've seen have an air-core wire-wound resistor inside a vented
box and put out plenty of heat to warm your hands or melt any nearby
plastics.

Unless you are intent on using 50s technology, IMO you would be better
off with a 5 volt regulator IC, and a few diodes to raise the output to
6 volts.

Randall