Re: paint manufacturers code

To: spitlist@gte.net, sanborn@net1plus.com
Subject: Re: paint manufacturers code
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 19:24:40 EDT
Cc: smithd@peak.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 7/4/00 2:44:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time, spitlist@gte.net
writes:

<< I have been compiling my paint code chart for the past 4 years, beginning
with an ancient PPG/Ditzler paint book for foreign cars.  I
 have added to it with inputs from various sources since the initial
offering.  The information on Primrose/Pale yellow for 62-63 TR3,
 TR-10, and Herald is a PPG/Ditzler Color chart that was sent to me by Andy
Mace. >>

AN IMPORTANT WORD OF CAUTION for anyone contemplating the possibility
of matching an original Triumph color using paint codes from current
manufacturers: You cannot count on those colors matching the originals.
I don't know how this applies to your various yellows, but I can state with
absolute certainty that PPG and Dupont paint codes for pimento red do
not match the pimento red that rolled out of the Triumph factory over 25
years ago.
and this has been the case for at least 20 years that I know of.
The only way to be really sure (IMHO) is to match a sample against an
unmolested, unweathered original patch - such as you might find under
your windsheild frame.
Cheers
Jack Mc