Re: freon

To: OHFASTONE@aol.com, TexasTR4@aol.com, rbtr3a@flintemc.net, owner-triumphs@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: freon
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 17:09:07 -0500

If you have an air compressor you can get an inexpensive air (venturi)
operated vacuum pump for less than $50 from JC Whitney or Harbor Freight.

If you want to legally buy  R12 and do it yourself you can get your
certification (try http://www.macsw.org) with far less expense and
difficulty than you would guess. Once you have your EPA 609 'freon card'
you can go to Pep Boys or AutoZone and buy 12oz cans of R12 for about $20.
You don't need expensive refrigerant recycling equipment to legally charge
up an empty system or to add refrigerant to a partially charged system on
your own vehicle. The rules are a little different if you are doing work
for hire: Some professionals will tell you that you can't legally add
refrigerant to a leaking system, but that's not entirely correct.

It is illegal to vent refrigerant into the atmosphere whether you are
certified or not. If you think there's freon in your system take it to the
local shop and have it cleaned out before you take it apart.

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com