Re: Heritage certificate

To: <fogbro1@home.com>
Subject: Re: Heritage certificate
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 21:17:30 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Ed Woods wrote:

Having just acquired a '60 TR3 with 23k on the clock, I was surprised
receive a certificate that was correct in VIN number and engine
number, but
differed in details such as the top color and tires. The car has a
white top
and side curtains and one original Dunlop whitewall tire. The
certificate
says "black top" and "Michelin" tires. I was told that the car's been
in
storage for over 20 years and, judging by the documents in the
glovebox,
have every reason to believe it.
First thought was that Triumph didn't really have an accurate record
of what
was built, but more probably this car was modified by the dealer prior
its sale, possibly at the request of the buyer.
List comments? Any other discrepancies between the Heritage
certificate and
a car?

Ed, something of a miracle for tyres and top to last the better part
of 40 years! Top could have been a dealer swap to better sell the car
or it got vandalised or ...? Tyres probably wore out or just perished.
As for certificate accuracy, I can assure you my colleagues do take
great care to interrogate the original records before committing
themselves in print on the certificate itself.
As for record accuracy, two documents are examined. The first is what
was called the 'tally' that went down the line with the car as it was
built. This featured all aspects of the car's spec, together with
inspector stamps, handwritten notes, blobs of glue, tyre marks, grease
and what have you. Much, much later, that same card was microfilmed
and it is this film that we use to check out any car. Before
committing to print, the preliminary details on the tally are then
cross-referred to additional microfilmed copies of the original sales
invoice from Standard Triumph to the dealer or importer plus the
original bill of sale and the certificate of origin. The invoice used
to be 'Roneo'ed' (remember those?) and the microfilm is about half the
size of the nail on my little finger. Blown up to a screen about 18"
square, they are certainly legible but not brilliant in their clarity.
It probably takes about half an hour to check out each car's details
and believe me, eyestrain is a major problem when you have to do about
20 certs each day for 12 different makes of car, just to keep on top
of the pile of certificate requests.
You asked, any discrepancies between the certificate and the car?
Plenty! Probably 99% of the people who do complain - and there aren't
many, are owners who tell us that we've got it wrong, their car was
never like that, the 'original' owner said so-and-so. The simple fact
is that while the car may now be different from what it once was, four
separate documents issued by the factory and heaven knows how many
other checks done during production are unlikely to have got it all
wrong all the time. The information on the car is strictly and only as
it was when the car left the plant. What might have happened to it at
a later stage when it eventually reached the dealer or first customer,
is a whole different ballgame.
FWIW, Kent Howard, Editor of VTR's 'English Channel' has told me an
article I wrote for him about a year ago on these certs will be
appearing very shortly. I think it's due in the next issue of EC
whenever that's due for release.

Jonmac

IN THE SHADOW OF MY FATHER
http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook