Safety Equipment

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Safety Equipment
From: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:09:49 -0400
Hello all-

As my TR4 readys itself to emerge in its glory from the mechanic's garage
(re: potentially bent crankshaft- using a pin guage on the front crankshaft
showed very low deflection (5/1000 of inch) which leads to hope that it will
seal with a new fan belt hub rather than a new crankshaft...keep your
fingers crossed!), I turn to looking at added aftermaket equipment...(this
car is a fairweather driver, not a concourse car)

First off, the airbag light doesnt seem to function- when I turn the key on,
it doesnt light up anywhere on the dashboard...Im assuming this is a lucas
electronics failure...any suggestions?

;-)

Seriously-

Safety stuff
--I want to put in 3 or 4 point belts (2 point belts in there currently)-
this car is a daily driver, not a racer- what do people suggest?  There seem
to be a lot of options- favorite vendors, setups, etc?  Inertial reel or
not?  Comfort/safety/ease of installation?  Help!

--Rollover bar- Yes, I know they are not original.  Yes, I know they are
ugly. Yes I know the cars are very hard to roll.  That being said, I still
want ot put in a rollbar.  (Partly b/c my dads car, which I am trying to
reproduce, had one)...Are the only options full across box type rollbars
(ugly)?  Is it possible to fit porsche boxster like rollbars, one behind the
head of each occupant?   (much cooler looking). Are they always ugly black,
or does someone sell chromed ones?  Leather covered ones?  Are there any
that are removable?  Any favorite vendors?

--Antisway bar- these seem to be sold as kits by all the distributors...what
are peoples expereicnes?  Improved handling? How hard were they to install?
Problems?  Front only?  Front and back?  Whod you buy from?

--Electric killswitch- I want to put it in as a theft deterrent rather than
as a fire controller.  Has anyone done this?  How hard is the
wiring/installation?

--Rollover fuel pump killer- the car already has an electric fuel pump (in
series with mehcanical one)(PO was like minded to me).  I see a few catalogs
selling setups to kill the fuel pump power in the event of a major crash.
Anyone used these?  Any results? Thoughts?

Other
--Stereo- anyone have experience putting a modern stereo in these cars?  I
want to leave the orignal triumph radio in just for looking at. It looks
cool.  What did you do?  Where did you put the radio?  The speakers?

--Halogen headlights- is there a way to brighten the lights without surgery?
New bulbs inside old lights? (sorry if htis is a dumb questions)  Add "add
on lights"?

--High performance coil- is this worthwhile?  (Im already installing an
electronic ignition) I understand that you have to regap the plugs to take
full advantage of the increased voltage- how do you do this?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Noah

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information
intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution,
copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited.
If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
by reply e-mail and then destroy the message.  Opinions, conclusions,
business of Bain & Company shall be understood to be neither given
nor endorsed by the Company.  When addressed to Bain clients, any
information contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms and conditions
in the governing client contract.